Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Movie 225/1001 ~ Meet Me in St. Louis

This movie was made in 1945 and stars Judy Garland and Mary Astor and was directed by Vincente Minelli. The movie is a musical about a middle class family living in St. Louis. They have four daughters and a son. Judy Garland plays the second eldest daughter who is smitten with the neighbour next door. If you ever wanted to know who to thank/murder for creating the songs Clang Clang Goes the Trolley and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, now you know who to thank. Both songs were written for the movie and have been tremendous hits ever since. I enjoyed this movie, but I didn't think it was spectacular. I don't really care for child acting from the time period and there was a lot of it. I believe it was supposed to look cute, but it just wasn't working for me. Mostly, it was well constructed and well acted, but it didn't go over that well for me.

Fun Fact: Judy Garland met Vincente Minelli while making this movie and the two teamed up and Liza Minelli was born a little while later.

***


No comments:

Post a Comment