Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Movie 221/1001 ~ Platoon

In 1986, Platoon was directed by Oliver Stone and stars Charlie Sheen and Willem Dafoe. Charlie Sheen plays a new recruit who joins a platoon of men in the Vietnam war. There are many different types of men in the platoon, and as the film progresses, the line between right and wrong is blurred and Sheen struggles to discern the correct path for himself. I really like this movie. I believe it is the best Vietnam movie that I have watched thus far and easily my favourite Oliver Stone film. The movie has a certain moral ambiguity to it, but I was compelled by the character driven plot and action. The film was also very well shot and the accompaniment of the poignant Adagio for Strings throughout the film was an excellent touch.

****1/2


No comments:

Post a Comment