Monday, June 15, 2009

Movie 217/1001 ~ The African Queen

Ok, now that the Oscars are over, it is back to the grind stone. The African Queen stars Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. Set in WW1 Africa, Hepburn gets on board Bogart's boat after the village where she is being a missionary is burned to the ground by German troops. Determined to get even, she formulates a plan to strike a counterattack using Bogart's boat, the African Queen. There are manyh obstacles to overcome, including insects, malaria, leeches, and angry Germans. Bogart won his only Oscar for this film. I liked the movie, but didn't find it as spectacular as I was told it would be. I found the musical score to not work with the film in a way I found pleasing and I found Bogart's unusual accent used in the film mildly annoying.

***


No comments:

Post a Comment